Skip to main content

NO FEAR??????

NO FEAR my ass, I am scared to death! For me I find this statement concerning. I have spent a large portion of my life in the service of others. Be it as a soldier, a security professional or a pseudo parent protection has been my life for longer than I care to remember. During my rough and tumble life I have been on both side of the coin, I have done good things for/too bad people and bad things for/too good people with ramifications that left scars all over my life. During my career I have seen great people and had the pleasure to speak candidly about some of the work they did. Across the board from all I spoken to, they all point to the standard definition of hero “one who does the job even though fear is paramount”. It is amazing that most never consider themselves hero’s just people doing the job as needed. In that I see and feel the same driving force: fear (like pain) reminds me I am alive and guides me. Fear makes me think, rethink, prepare, pack, unpack and repack. I vividly remember jumping out of perfectly good air planes (and yes I never got the happy part of sky diving); it scared the hell outta me! But my fear ensured that I did all I could to make my jumps as safe as possible. I am not afraid of fear nor does it paralyze me, we coexist in the same plane with a healthy appreciation for each other. Never be afraid to say you are scared! Just as I have never met an atheist in a fire fight, everybody I have ever met gets scared. Take fear for what it is: a reminder to think about something and that’s it! Let fear guide you not control you, for things out of your control ask for help! Be honest and evaluate the situation when fear speaks to you and know your limitations!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mei Wei for Lunch

As always Mei Wei continues to amaze and surprise. One of the true restaurant finds of my time in Raleigh. A small family owned establishment that creates some truly superb dishes. Egg drop wonton soup and red curry fit the bill for today!!!

My prayer for my children

I pray you fly but never fall May you want but never need Learn to live with all you have Find hope in your weakness See success in your failures Live as if there is no tomorrow Love without fear of being hurt Dance and sing from your heart Believe and trust in yourself Cherish time and enjoy the ride